Sleep is essential for a healthy life. In Ayurveda, Aahara (food), Nidra (sleep), and Maithun (sex) are considered as the Trayopasthambhas (three pillars) of life. Acharya Charaka has highlighted the importance of sleep; he says that happiness and misery, proper and improper growth, good strength and weakness, potency and sterility, knowledge and ignorance, and life and death of an individual depend on the quality of sleep.
Ayurveda has an excellent solution for sound sleep. There are various herbs mentioned in the texts which are known to improve the quality of sleep naturally. Some of the herbs are:
Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) is an essential herb in Ayurveda. It has been used for thousands of years in Ayurveda and classified as a Rasayana (rejuvenator) herb that increases the tolerance to stress and strengthens the immune system. “Somnifera – means sleep-inducing”, and is used for sound sleep since hundreds of years.
- Ashwagandha is an adaptogen
- It corrects the imbalance between immune and neuroendocrine system to normalize the functions of the body in stressed conditions
- It is the best health tonic
- It is used in general debility, exhaustion, stress induced fatigue and lack of sleep
Studies have shown that Tagara (Valeriana wallichii) possessess the property of Nidrajanana (sedative and hypnotic) and is effective in sleeplessness. It is seen that Tagara
- Initiates sleep
- Improves the duration of sleep
- Improves disturbed sleep
- Regularizes sleep due to disturbances in routine work
- Has anti-depressant properties
Yashtimadhu (Glycyrrhiza glabra) is described as “the grandfather of herbs”.
- Yashtimadhu is the most frequently used medicine in the world for over 4000 years.
- Yashtimadhu reduces stress and fatigue
It is commonly known as Jalbrahmi. It is used as a medicinal herb in ayurveda for over thousands of years.
- Mandukparni is a stimulatory-nervine tonic
- It is a rejuvenator and, acts as a sedative
- Mandukparni is anti-oxidant and it also promotes intelligence
In ayurveda, Jatamansi (Nardostachys jatamansi) is included in the Nidrajanana (sedative and hypnotic) drugs section. It helps in sleep initiation
- It improves the duration of sleep
- Regularizes the disturbed sleep and maintains restful sleep
- Jatamansi is anti-oxidant, it also possessess anti-stress activity
- Jatamansihas antidepressant activity and is beneficial for patients suffering from depression due to sleep disturbances
- Pippali (Piper longum) soothes the nerves for improving the quality of sleep at night
- Pippali enhances the longevity
- Pippali improves circulation and also strengthens the immune system
Try a natural sleep regulator – ZZOWIN Tablets by Charak Pharma
ZZOWIN is a combination of time tested herbs beneficial for sleep disturbances. Key ingredients are: Ashwagandha, Tagar, Yashtimadhu, Mandukparni etc.
- Induces and maintains sleep
- Improves the quality of sleep
- Improves general mood
- Decreases the stress and anxiety
Zzowin is completely safe as it is non-habit forming and it does not cause any side-effects and withdrawal symptoms.