Regular menstrual cycle reflects good reproductive health. The HPO axis, comprising of the hypothalamus (an area of the brain), the pituitary gland (located at the base of the brain, directly below the hypothalamus), and the ovarian glands, plays a critical role in the regulation of menstrual cycle. They are synchronized through the hormones which stimulate, control and coordinate ovarian cycle. However, when this sync in the HPO axis is thrown out of gear, it results in menstrual irregularities.
Every woman faces an early, late or no period at some point in her menstrual years. Being occasionally irregular is totally regular; however one needs to be cautioned for significant and frequent irregular periods.
Here are some of the most effective tips to treat the problem of irregular periods…
Make lifestyle changes: Modern erratic lifestyle and stress have a disturbing effect on the hypothalamus, resulting in an imbalance in HPO axis. Poor eating habits, junk food, smoking, alcohol consumption, drug abuse, stress, sleep deprivation are the presentations of an unhealthy lifestyle that induces gynecologic disorders. Lifestyle modification is a preventing factor to help improve menstrual health.
- Limit tea, coffee or other caffeinated sodas and beverages. High caffeine consumption restricts blood flow and reduces uterine blood flow to interrupt menstrual cycle.
- Sleep deprivations disrupt biological functions including menstrual cycle, so get enough sleep and avoid working in shift.
- Limit alcohol intake as it disrupts ovulation by causing the temporary increase in estrogen and testosterone.
- Quit smoking to harmonize your hormonal imbalance caused by puffing.
- Stop self-medications and overuse of over the counter drugs that often have a negative impact on your monthly cycle.
Balance out stress: Everyday stress and anxiety may cause fluctuation in the menstrual cycle, resulting in heavy, scanty bleeding or cease menstruation altogether. Lowering stress levels with effective coping mechanism helps restore menstrual irregularities.
- Start physical activities like brisk walking, stretching or an exercise regime to overcome stress.
- Practice meditation and yoga postures like ardhamastyendrasana, tadasana, halasana, bhujangasana, surya namaskar to support healthy reproductive system and relieve stress naturally.
Maintain a healthy weight: Your weight has a direct impact on the menstrual cycle. Being overweight or underweight impairs estrogen levels in the body to interrupt menstruation. Too much of estrogen produced by excess of fat in overweight women, while too little of estrogen due to lack of inadequate fat levels in underweight may interfere in the healthy menstrual cycle.
- Shed or gain those extra kilos to maintain a healthy weight.
- Avoid rapid weight gain or loss, which might cause hormonal imbalance.
- Avoid excessive and extreme workout as you need a certain amount of body fat to ovulate.
- Practice Kegels to strengthen pelvic muscles and improve your menstrual health
Eat healthy: Processed unhealthy foods and sweets disrupt blood sugar control and result in excess fat accumulation to affect healthy ovulation. A balanced diet rich in whole grains, cereal, fruits, vegetables, and nuts helps to meet body’s nutritional requirement to sustain menstruation.
- Give emphasize to foods rich in omega-3, antioxidants, fiber and protein in your diet to improve hormonal balance and menstrual health.
- Anemia may be the underlying cause of menstrual irregularity, replenish your iron and folic acid requirement through iron-rich foods like spinach, beetroot, raisins, oysters, red meat, beans, lentils, chickpeas, and soybeans.
- Drink water and stay hydrated
Complement with multivitamins and other supplements: It is yet another safe and effective approach to manage menstrual disorders. Multivitamins and supplements help correct the possible nutrient deficiencies optimizing female menstrual health. These nutrients address unique nutritional needs of women suffering from menstrual problems. It supports a healthy balance of female hormones, reduces symptoms associated with the menstrual cycle and restores normal menstrual cycle.
Opt for herbal and traditional remedies to regularize menstruation: Herbs and herbal medicines have been in use in the treatment of gynecological disorders since time immemorial. Medicinal plants like Saraca indica, Symplocos racemosa, Mesua ferrea, Nardostachys jatamansi are highly effective and safe treatment option.
Charak pharma’s M2-TONE is a comprehensive formulation that regulates the menstrual cycle. Its pro-estrogenic ingredients correct hormonal imbalance, improve ovarian and endocrinal functions. It is a safe and noninvasive approach to correct and restore the menstrual rhythm.
Treat underlying condition: Irregular menses may be a sign of underlying disease condition.
- See a doctor to diagnose the condition. It may be PCOS, IBS, TB (Tuberculosis), diabetes or a miscarriage responsible of irregular periods.
- Test for thyroid function to diagnose a thyroid disorder causing menstrual irregularities.
Get an ultrasound to evaluate uterus, ovaries and the fallopian tubes for polyp, fibroid or an infection.